The Winter Park Housing Authority works in partnership with a number of other organizations to help better serve our tenants’ broader needs. One of these amazing groups is the Boys & Girls Clubs of Central Florida, whose mission is “To inspire and enable all young people, especially those from disadvantaged circumstances, to realize their full potential as productive, responsible and caring citizens.”
About the Boys & Girls Clubs of Central Florida
This chapter of the national Boys & Girls Clubs of America was launched in 1944 as the Orlando Boys Club, opening up services to 25 young men. Today, it works with almost 14,000 kids, ages 6 to 18, at more than 30 locations across Orange, Osceola, Seminole, Brevard, and Nassau Counties. See a full list of these locations and find their contact information here.
Boys & Girls Clubs of Central Florida Core Programs
Five programs make up the core of the organization’s services. They’re offered year-round at all Boys & Girls Clubs of Central Florida locations and include:
- Character & Leadership Development: These programs help children become more globally and culturally respectful and responsible, build stronger relationships, develop their self-esteem and character, and grow into leaders for their community and their world.
- Health & Life Skills: These programs teach children to make smart decisions and engage in positive behaviors that help them become happy, healthy, independent adults.
- Education & Career Development: These programs assist youth with basic academic proficiency and goal setting, introduce them to new technologies, expose them to possible careers, and prepare them to thrive in their employment.
- The Arts: These programs encourage kids to explore and develop their creativity and cultural awareness through arts and crafts, creative writing, performing arts, and other pursuits.
- Sports, Fitness & Recreation: These programs improve fitness and show children how to manage stress and make positive use of their leisure time, while building an appreciation for the environment and interpersonal skills.
Orange County Middle School Programs
The Boys & Girls Clubs of Central Florida also offers services for students at 14 Orange County, FL middle schools through the After School Zone. The programs offered include:
- Education & Career Development
- Character & Leadership Development
- Sports, Fitness, & Recreation
- Health & Life Skills
- Arts & Technology
Boys & Girls Clubs of Central Florida Thrift Store
The organization is partly supported by proceeds from its thrift store, which is located at 2054 SR 436, Suite #140, Winter Park, FL 32792. They gratefully accept donations of new or resale-quality used goods such as furniture, clothing, accessories, housewares, linens, toys, CDs and DVDs, books, sports equipment, tools, electronics, appliances, and more. They also depend on volunteers to keep the store running, and it’s a great way to get involved in your community.
Support the Boys & Girls Clubs of Central Florida
In addition to pitching in at the thrift store, the organization always has plenty of other opportunities for volunteers willing to contribute a little of their time, skills, and love. For a list of ways you can get involved and to learn about the volunteer application process, click here.
Or, if you prefer to contribute with a financial donation, learn more here.