- Position Summary
This is highly responsible administrative and technical management work which carries out the functions and activities necessary for the effective and efficient operation of the Authority. The incumbent provides overall leadership and guidance to professionals engaged in carrying out the daily operations of the Authority which include planning, organizing, and directing a comprehensive program of public housing administration, and affordable housing preservation and development. The Executive Director oversees community social, cultural, and individual enrichment programs for residents; oversees administration of grants and related federal assistance programs; plans, develops, and implements objectives, policies, and procedures in accordance with board directives. The Executive Director oversees budget development and presents the organizational budget to the Board for final approval. The Executive Director confers with the management company and reviews activities, reports, and data to determine whether goals have been met and what changes if any would benefit the WPHA.
Independent judgment and decision making required. All work performed within the general policies established by the WPHA Board of Commissioners and regulatory framework established by the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD). Work is subject to review and audit by both parties.
Responsible to Winter Park Housing Authority Board of Commissioners.
- Serves as Secretary to the Board of Housing Commissioners.
- Performs and supervises administrative tasks and responsibilities related to the preparation and presentation of all reports and recommendations to the WPHA Board of Commissioners.
- Participates in the meetings of the WPHA Board of Commissioners to give technical counsel, report on operations, discuss problems, make recommendations, and seek direction.
- Participates in resident meetings, community meetings, City of Winter Park meetings, WPHA meetings, etc., as appropriate, to effect communications between these groups and the WPHA regarding housing problems and/or issues.
- Promotes WPHA public relations through various means such as presentations to interested agencies, groups, and organizations. Represents the WPHA in the community, with HUD, and other groups and agencies and stays abreast of developments and trends in public and affordable housing issues.
- Directs the work in analyzing the WPHA’s budgetary needs, financial feasibility studies, and investment of funds.
- Conducts strategic planning including the formation of short and long-term goals and plans for the WPHA by directing the establishment and maintenance of the Five-Year Plan.
- Directs the coordination and implementation of all programs to assure the provision of safe, decent, and sanitary housing.
- Develops affordable housing opportunities for residents in the community and other special projects as related to WPHA needs.
- Implements and interprets Federal regulations affecting the WPHA’s housing programs. Monitors operations by reviewing records and reports and assuring Public Housing Assessment System (PHAS) and other reports are submitted to HUD in a timely manner with accurate and acceptable scores.
- Conducts informal hearings for residents and applicants and resolves problems that are not resolved at a lower level.
- Serves as Contracting Officer for the WPHA which includes overseeing contracts according to the procurement policy, assuring provisions of contracts and agreements are followed and authorizes payments.
- Inspects and supervises all modernization programs.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Knowledge of HUD, other federal, state, and local policies, procedures, laws and regulations related to the operation of a public housing authority.
- Knowledge of real estate, housing rehabilitation, and landlord/tenant laws.
- Working knowledge of fiscal management
- Ability to communicate effectively both orally and in writing.
- Ability to exercise sound independent judgment and make decisions on own initiative.
- Ability to work with community resources to enhance supportive services to residents.
- Ability to manage multiple priorities and multiple demands to accomplish tasks in accordance with established requirements.
- Ability to establish priorities and deadlines to assure efficiency that meets expectations.
- Bachelor’s degree or higher in business or public administration or related
- Minimum 5 years management experience in public housing or similar organization
- Experience working with elected officials, public and private funding agencies
- Experience working with various cultural and economic backgrounds
- Independent judgment
- Excellent verbal and written skills
- Obtain and maintain a FL driver’s license
- Must be bondable
- Job ID
- Job Title
- Executive Director
- Application Deadline
- Salary Range
- no minimum salary specified – no maximum salary specified
- Job Major Category
- Job Posting
- Job Location
- Winter Park, FL
- Kimberly Sallie
- Phone Number
- (813) 986-4441
- Best Method of Contact