The Winter Park Housing Authority will select families based on the following preferences within each bedroom size category based on local housing needs and priorities:
- Working Family/Household Preference: "Work" is defined as the head of household, spouse, or sole member employed by a third party for at least the minimum wage.
- Residency Preference: Applicants who reside in the City of Winter Park or whose head of household or spouse works in the City of Winter Park
- Prior Resident: Prior public housing residents who left WPHA public housing in good standing.
- Veteran's Preference: A veteran is a former member of the Armed Forces of the United States (Army, Navy, Air Force, Marine Corps, and Coast Guard) who served on active duty and was discharged under conditions, which were other than dishonorable.
- Elderly Preference: Elderly will have a preference over single non-elderly persons when both are applying for admission.
- Graduate/Enrolled in a Job Training Program Preference: Applicants whose head of household or spouse is a graduate of or enrolled in a job training program that prepares the applicant to enter or reenter the job market
- Applicants are referred by a permanent housing program with which the Winter Park Housing Authority has a Memorandum of Agreement.
Certain factors give preference to a pre-application, including:
- Working families (at least 20 hours per week for at least 6 of the past 12 months)
- Elderly (62 or older)
- Disabled (as defined in section 223 of the Social Security Act or section 102 of the Developmental Disabilities Assistance and Bill of Rights)
- Living or working in the City of Winter Park
- Graduate of a certified training program
- United States Military Veteran